Monday, May 18, 2009

Is Soccer a Life Long Sport?

I started playing soccer when I was around 7 years old. At that time, leagues weren't as plentiful at least where I grew up, as they are now. But between my friends, brothers and neighbors, we were able to play quite often.

As I got into Middle School, we started to play more and more organized soccer and then by High School, we were playing pretty much year round on a club team...even in snow storms.

In looking at soccer clubs now, there are so many kids playing and there are so many more opportunities for them to play, it is awesome.

But here is where I wonder what will happen, I loved playing so much that I would do it on my own, I would call friends and have them meet to play games. I enjoy it as much today as I did as a kid. I still play over 40 years later. To me it is a lifelong sport. I hope to play for another 20 years! I am not alone with this desire either. There are plenty of over 40 and over 50 year old soccer leagues and tournaments for people to play in, which is amazing.

How many sports can make that claim? Aside from golf and tennis, not too many others can. I believe that as a kid growing up and playing it for fun, it became part of me. My hope is that as coaches we are instilling the love of the game in our players we are coaching so that when they are older like me, they are still loving the game of soccer and are still playing it!

If that happens, watch out! The amount of space that will be needed for our youth to play on may be exceeded by the amount of space needed for soccer playing adults! Here's hoping that happens!

Have great day!

Gary
www.soccerandspeedcoach.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home