Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Soccer tryouts

After being an evaluator today for a youth soccer team tryout, I was both pleased and concerned about what I saw out there. Specifically, when I observed the players creativity with the ball, it was to be honest, a bit lacking. The tryouts were for U14 boys.

Many of them couldn't combine with a teammate let alone take another player on in a 1v1. As a coach and as a youth soccer player evaluator, my belief is that we can sometimes have our players play too organized of a game. We create these grids and ask the players to play a certain way and they become very one dimensional.

My belief is this style tends to inhibit their freedom to create out on the soccer field. They seem to look only at their next pass versus 2-3 plays in front of them.

One concept that I have been using alot over the past several years is to allow them practice time to play what I call "crazy soccer". Here is what I mean by that...I ask the players to play in a manner that they are uncomfortable playing in. I ask them to try things out on the field that maybe that have thought about, but were either to afraid to try or didn't do for other reasons. After they play like that for some time (maybe 15-20 min) we stop and ask them what were they trying to accomplish with some of the things they were doing. If their answers were constructive and had purpose, we try and elaborate on them and offer other ideas and allow them to offer other ideas as well. It creates an opportunity for both the coach and the players to grow as a team and as individuals.

Play some "crazy soccer" this week and have some fun, but also have some great creative play!

Have a great day!

Gary
www.soccerandspeedcoach.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home