Monday, August 3, 2009

Set Plays for Soccer Restarts are Key

Over the past year, I took an unofficial survey of the number of goals my team scored off of restarts. The percentage of goals scored off of restarts was almost 30%. This number actually surprised me somewhat. I didn't think we scored as many as we did.

In our 18 game season we scored 49 goals...14 by set pieces. I defined set pieces as corner kicks, direct and indirects. (but did not include PK's).

Conversely, we gave up only 17 goals all season, but 5 of them came as a result of the other teams set piece. This works out to close to 30% also.

I can tell we never really focused a lot of our training sessions on scoring or defending set pieces. That is changing however, we are now putting more time into set pieces with the hope of scoring more goals and defending them better.

My suggestion is for your team to consider putting more time too into your set pieces and I think you'll see good results as well.

Have a great day!

Gary
www.soccerandspeedcoach.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home